What is Facebook conversion tracking and re-targeting and why should I be using it with Facebook PPC?
Facebook conversion tracking and re-targeting are the buzzwords of internet marketing these days. And for good reason. Using this simple yet powerful tool, you can increase your engagement tremendously.
This is the future of online advertising. And it is already here.
Facebook conversion tracking
How does it work?
The basic concept of Facebook conversion tracking:
- Someone visits a web page and they are “tagged”
- This tag is used to then present future offers using Facebook paid advertising
- This is sort of like cookies, but more powerful because it can be used on mobile devices as well
How do I set it up?
Now comes the tricky part. Well, sort of tricky. If you are already familiar with the Facebook Ad Manager, you will understand Facebook conversion tracking quickly.
- Go to the Facebook Ads Manager
- Conversion tracking is the link in the left-hand navigation
- Create a pixel
- Select the type of pixel. You can include: checkouts, registrations, leads, key page views, ads to cart, and other website conversions. Put some thought into the right category because Facebook will be optimizing for this type of response.
- Name your pixel for future reference. Be very descriptive because if you are doing this right, you will have a ton of pixels. You want to keep them straight.
- Get the code and place on your web site, blog, capture page, etc. If you are using WordPress, there is a plug in that can do this for you. Just following the Facebook conversion tracking instructions.
- Check that it is working
- Add the pixel to your Facebook PPC Ad
Does any of this sound like rocket science? Of course not. Setting up your very own Facebook conversion tracking is easy.
Using pixel to create custom audiences
Here’s where the magic comes in. You can use the visitors to your web site as a custom target audience for your Facebook ads. Do you think they are more likely than the general public to want to hear more about what you have to say? Of course they will.
Here are the steps to create that custom audience:
- Install pixel as explained above
- Go to Facebook Ads Manager > Custom Audiences
- Create an audience
- Select Website Traffic: This can include a) Anyone who visits your website b) People who visited specific web pages c) People visiting specific web pages but not others, or d) People who haven’t visited in a certain amount of time
- Use this audience in your Facebook ads
You have to have an audience of a certain size to be able to create the audience
Look alike audiences
It gets even better. Once you have a reason sized custom audience, Facebook conversion tracking will allow you to create a “look-alike” audience. Just think, now Facebook will use its technology to find the people that are the most similar to your custom audience. How amazing is that.
Now why would Facebook do this? So that you will run more ads, make more money, and keep coming back. As simple as that. And that is a good thing for you.
Is Facebook conversion tracking complicated? Yes and No. It isn’t necessarily for beginners. But that is good news. You will stand out from the crowd. And your conversion response will be better than ever.
Have a great day getting to work on Facebook conversion tracking.
PS: Are you thinking of building up your online marketing skills? I have been using an amazing program that teaches how to make a Facebook video. And a lot more. Click here to see the video for yourself.